Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bridge of the Week #23: Union Street Bridge




OK, this is another little Gowanus Canal bridge that doesn't have much of interest, but it's a bridge nonetheless. The Union Street Bridge is a twin bascule drawbridge on Union Street between Bond St. and Nevins St. It carries two lanes of eastbound traffic and has sidewalks on both sides.

See my posts about the 9th St. Bridge and Carroll St. Bridge for information about this part of Brooklyn. I couldn't find much technical information about the bridge, but it was opened in 1905 and has a main span of 56 feet. It is the northernmost bridge over the Gowanus Canal, which terminates just a couple of blocks north.

I am a little behind, so I'll try to get two more in by the end of this week, and I'll try not to make them too boring.
Pics: 1. Union St. Bridge; 2. Gownus Canal north to terminus from Union St. Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment